LA/Santa Monica - 899 stolen - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
 3Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 03-07-2015, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
np2005sti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 210
Garage
LA/Santa Monica - 899 stolen

Sad to say I've joined the club of 899 theft victims. Stolen sometime this week from my "secured" apartment building parking garage. Gated, three level, underground parking garage a few blocks from the Santa Monica promenade.

I rode the bike Saturday, cleaned her Sunday, and because I walk to work (and had a busy week), had not been down in the garage until tonight. Went down to hop in the car to get groceries, and the bike was gone.

Santa Monica cop came, took down info, gave me a theft report and left.

If the bike isn't already stripped for parts and anyone in the LA area sees a red 899 with NRC fender eliminator, techspec tank pads and CA license plate 21Z0848, please call the police.

It was insured, but I guess I'll be bike-free for a while. I can't imagine making the same mistake twice in this building.

Picture from my last ride attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2747.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	373.0 KB
ID:	19873  

2014 BMW S1000R | White
2014 Ducati 899 Panigale | Red (stolen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

2013 Ducati Monster 796 | White (sold)
np2005sti is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 03-07-2015, 05:27 AM
Senior Member
 
sinjin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Las Colinas, TX (Dallas)
Posts: 1,841
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by np2005sti View Post
Sad to say I've joined the club of 899 theft victims. Stolen sometime this week from my "secured" apartment building parking garage. Gated, three level, underground parking garage a few blocks from the Santa Monica promenade.

I rode the bike Saturday, cleaned her Sunday, and because I walk to work (and had a busy week), had not been down in the garage until tonight. Went down to hop in the car to get groceries, and the bike was gone.

Santa Monica cop came, took down info, gave me a theft report and left.

If the bike isn't already stripped for parts and anyone in the LA area sees a red 899 with NRC fender eliminator, techspec tank pads and CA license plate 21Z0848, please call the police.

It was insured, but I guess I'll be bike-free for a while. I can't imagine making the same mistake twice in this building.

Picture from my last ride attached.
I am really sorry to hear about your bike. My heart sank when I began to read your post... with a bit of luck they will eventually find the people who stole it.

Keep us posted.

2014 Panigale 899 - Red
Termi Exhaust, Rotobox Wheels, NRC Fender Eliminator, Rizoma Rearsets and Reservoirs, Yoyodyne Slipper Clutch, Ducabike Clear Clutch Cover, CRG CF Levers, DP Fuel Cap, 'R' Seat Cover and Decal Kit
R&G Radiator Guard, Fork and Tank Sliders

2015 BMW S1000RR - Red
HP4 Wheels, Full Akrapovic titanium Exhaust, Bonamici Rearsets, Competition Werks Fender Eliminator and Integrated Tail Light,
Rizoma LED Indicators, Fuel Cap, and RRC Levers, R&G Sliders and Rear Spools
sinjin is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 03-07-2015, 09:45 PM
Senior Member
 
92GTA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 722
**** that sucks! I hope those motherfucking pieces of **** that stole it get found and put away and have to pay restitution until they fucking die!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 Ducati 899 - SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Ducati 848 - SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Ducati 996R - Dream bike
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
92GTA is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 Old 03-07-2015, 10:35 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 9
Sorry to hear that dude. I work in the Santa Monica area and have been nervous about parking my bike outside. Thankfully we have security patrolling, but I always get "admirers" checking out the bike...
headrush is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 03-08-2015, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
np2005sti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 210
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjin View Post
I am really sorry to hear about your bike. My heart sank when I began to read your post... with a bit of luck they will eventually find the people who stole it.

Keep us posted.
Going to the garage and not seeing your bike there is a terrible feeling. I could not process properly for a few minutes. Tremendously violating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92GTA View Post
**** that sucks! I hope those motherfucking pieces of **** that stole it get found and put away and have to pay restitution until they fucking die!
I hope so, but it does not seem to me that theft is a very high priority for the police to track down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headrush View Post
Sorry to hear that dude. I work in the Santa Monica area and have been nervous about parking my bike outside. Thankfully we have security patrolling, but I always get "admirers" checking out the bike...
Hopefully you have better luck. I get the sense my bike was "scouted" since it was in an underground limited-access garage. Hopefully your bike being parked in a office garage will have different luck.

2014 BMW S1000R | White
2014 Ducati 899 Panigale | Red (stolen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

2013 Ducati Monster 796 | White (sold)
np2005sti is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 03-08-2015, 05:34 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 23
Sorry to hear about this. My single biggest fear owning this bike is theft. I have had 3 bikes stolen in LA-- 2 ZX-10s and 1 VFR800 (what kind of a$$holes steal a VFR800??). Two were from my old residence parking garage and one was from work in Santa Monica. They found the engine of the VFR laying in a street in Pomona. Nothing was ever found of the ZX-10s. Best thing you can do is wait for the insurance and then think over whether you can live with it happening from time to time. These farkwits aren't going away anytime soon.
sonnyboy11 is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 03-08-2015, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
np2005sti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 210
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
Sorry to hear about this. My single biggest fear owning this bike is theft. I have had 3 bikes stolen in LA-- 2 ZX-10s and 1 VFR800 (what kind of a$$holes steal a VFR800??). Two were from my old residence parking garage and one was from work in Santa Monica. They found the engine of the VFR laying in a street in Pomona. Nothing was ever found of the ZX-10s. Best thing you can do is wait for the insurance and then think over whether you can live with it happening from time to time. These farkwits aren't going away anytime soon.
Wow. I definitely won't own another bike while I live in this building; hoping to find a private garage with my next place.

Did your insurance rates go up due to the thefts? Through no fault of your own, of course...

2014 BMW S1000R | White
2014 Ducati 899 Panigale | Red (stolen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

2013 Ducati Monster 796 | White (sold)
np2005sti is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 03-08-2015, 08:36 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by np2005sti View Post
Wow. I definitely won't own another bike while I live in this building; hoping to find a private garage with my next place.

Did your insurance rates go up due to the thefts? Through no fault of your own, of course...
Insurance rates were unaffected. YMMV. But at least with State Farm I had no issues. I've been with them for almost 30 years. Would never leave, even for a lower quote. They stood by me and made sure I was taken care of when these thefts happened.

When my first ZX-10 was taken, I came up with a plan so I wouldn't have to park my bike in my home parking structure anymore. Instead, I parked it at a local public storage space across the street and paid the monthly fee. Smart eh? So the bastards just came and took the second one from work where it was slightly easier to pick. So while a private garage helps, if they want your bike, they'll find a way.

Last edited by sonnyboy11; 03-08-2015 at 08:42 PM.
sonnyboy11 is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 03-08-2015, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
np2005sti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 210
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
Insurance rates were unaffected. YMMV. But at least with State Farm I had no issues. I've been with them for almost 30 years. Would never leave, even for a lower quote. They stood by me and made sure I was taken care of when these thefts happened.

When my first ZX-10 was taken, I came up with a plan so I wouldn't have to park my bike in my home parking structure anymore. Instead, I parked it at a local public storage space across the street and paid the monthly fee. Smart eh? So the bastards just came and took the second one from work where it was slightly easier to pick. So while a private garage helps, if they want your bike, they'll find a way.
Undoubtedly nothing is 100% except not to own a bike (let's see how long I last...). But at least a private garage will reduce the ease compared to a shared garage. I hope.

Glad to hear State Farm took care of you. I use them as well, and hope for a similar experience.

2014 BMW S1000R | White
2014 Ducati 899 Panigale | Red (stolen
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)

2013 Ducati Monster 796 | White (sold)
np2005sti is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 03-09-2015, 02:29 PM
Member
 
kblask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 57
Sorry to hear about your bike, hits close to home as I moved away from the Santa Monica area just a couple years back, where I had my very expensive mountain bike stolen from a "secure" cage inside my "secure" valet parking structure.

At the very least, for your next bike consider getting a piercingly loud alarm and some sort of tracking device. Might at least help the cops track down these dickheads.
kblask is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stolen bike and new insurance is 5797 AngryBear 899 Panigale General Discussion 7 05-15-2015 09:02 AM
Stolen ducatie 899 Tosh22 899 Panigale General Discussion 4 11-30-2014 09:06 AM
STOLEN BIKE: Los Angeles ucarla 899 Panigale General Discussion 22 11-21-2014 04:05 PM
My 899 has been stolen.. James 899 Panigale General Discussion 18 05-07-2014 07:50 PM
899 stolen in London found in Lithuania Mubbles 899 Panigale General Discussion 25 03-21-2014 06:12 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome