Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

Seat cowl - as secure as the standard seat?

7K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  brianjsilva 
#1 ·
Does the seat cowl latch on the same way the standard seat does? I attach my kriega bags to the rear and I wonder if they will pry off the seat cowl. I have no issues on the standard seat.

#2 ·
I've lost my seat cowl last weekend cruising 130k/hr at a highway!! It just blew off. Lot of traffic behind me, gladfully no accidents. Walked back on the highway and picked it up: totally ruined with tyre marks all over!
Ordered a new one, but now you make doubt if the lock of seat cowl isn't as good as the standerd seat.
I'm curious to other experiences.....

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#5 ·
Yes, it latches the same way, and it's as secure as the seat (if you latch it properly). Same center tab in the back, two tabs in the front, latch in the middle, and you have to push it until it clicks securely.

I use my Kriega US20 on the back, and I strap it to the passenger seat instead of the cowl for two reasons:

1) The seat is flatter than the cowl, so the bag sits flatter (especially when you tighten down the straps, the seat will compress a little, the cowl won't)
2) I don't want to damage the cowl's paint with the underside of the Kriega

Attachments

Reactions: Dynasty
#7 ·
Pretty much what I wanted to hear. I ordered a seat cowl, but I will look into finding a passenger seat for when I throw the bags on.

Gracias bruddah.

#6 ·
I had the same thing. The day after i put in on the bike i felt something rubbing against my back on the highway at 120 km/h and yes it was the seat cowl that came off, was lucky enough that it did not fly off but with getting off the bike it fell on the ground. Since then i havent had that problem anymore.

#10 ·
Went for my 3rd quick ride today with my new 899, went to the store to pick up a couple of small items I could basically fit in my jacket.

So before I left the store I used the key to access the back seat hoping there would be a little space…….there was absolutely none. Made me laugh.

I then put the seat back slid it into place until I felt a click or so I thought. Got onto a 2 lane highway and saw it tumble away as soon as I got to speed. Thankfully there was a small scuff at the broad end and the pointy end. Nothing to be upset about.

It was embarrassing to have to walk back a 150 yards and sprint across the 2 lane highway in full gear to crab the seat cowl. lol. Lesson learned I'll triple check to make sure its locked into place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.