My bike cranked up on its own!! wtf??? - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 07-15-2014, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

My bike cranked up on its own!! wtf???

I was at the gym. Did my workout came out, turned key and clicked to neutral like I usually do before hitting the starter. Right as I hit neutral the bike cranked up. Clutch was in, bike in neutral, key on, kickstand up. Cranked up without me hitting the starter. I know this sounds crazy but I honestly sat there in disbelief for a good minute. Was afraid to put it in gear but rode home uneventful. Pulled in the garage shut it down like normal. Anyone ever hear of anything like this? I'm a little freaked out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 07-15-2014, 05:42 PM

Garage
Starter button stuck in. It's a common problem, tell your dealer.
92GTA likes this.

[B]2014 Panigale 899
post #3 of 31 Old 07-15-2014, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

**** never heard of it before. I couldn't replicate the problem when I got home. Should I still be concerned? Or consider it a fluke thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 07-15-2014, 06:54 PM

Garage
Happened on the demo bike I rode. I guess it depends on how frequently it happens...
RV8G30 likes this.

[B]2014 Panigale 899
post #5 of 31 Old 07-15-2014, 08:29 PM

Happened to me too here the other day, so I guess it's common. Maybe some silicone spray will fix it.
post #6 of 31 Old 07-16-2014, 12:10 AM

Yes, happened to me too. I think it's cool though - auto starting bike. Mine does it as I flick up the side stand.
post #7 of 31 Old 07-16-2014, 01:33 AM

My bike did this yesterday. I pulled into my dealer to say hi and set up an appt. for first service. My dealer, Casey turned on the key, to check the odo and the bike started and lurched forward because it was still in gear. Luckily we caught it! Sticky starter button. Scared the sh!t out of me. No way I was going to let it hit the ground though.
post #8 of 31 Old 07-16-2014, 08:57 AM

Yep, my bike does this occasionally.

You can tell the starter button is stuck in slightly when it happens, did confuse me thought the first couple of times.

RBW.
post #9 of 31 Old 07-16-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
My bike did this yesterday. I pulled into my dealer to say hi and set up an appt. for first service. My dealer, Casey turned on the key, to check the odo and the bike started and lurched forward because it was still in gear. Luckily we caught it! Sticky starter button. Scared the sh!t out of me. No way I was going to let it hit the ground though.
Wow that would piss me off! Mine hasn't done this in 6.5k miles BUT I have had an issue with the turn signals not working 100% of the time (ala 1199 recall, but I assumed they would have fixed that on the 899....).

~*Jessika*~
2014 899 Panigale
post #10 of 31 Old 07-16-2014, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfish View Post
How did it start up if its in gear, kickstand down and without the clutch in? I thought it couldn't start under those conditions? Mine didn't start until it was in neutral.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page