Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

Ceramic coating to reduce heat

6K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  krissrock 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of ceramic coating parts of my bike to reduce the insane amount of heat that's burning my butt right now. Does anyone have experience or suggestions on which specific parts to have coated? Can anything be done to reduce heat from the header pipe AND rear cylinder?

#2 ·
i have my exhaust and some part of my suspension and engine cases Jet Hot Ceramic coated... It's mostly for looks...I honestly don't really see a different in temp output, although i know they make good quality products and I actually do see a difference in surface temp with it on the exhaust of my car. I feel that really so much of the heat is actually coming from the cylinder heads of the bike, and not so much the exhaust. All that aside, the bike looks better with black IMO (lemme know if the pics aren't visible for some reason)

#3 ·
i have my exhaust and some part of my suspension and engine cases Jet Hot Ceramic coated... It's mostly for looks...I honestly don't really see a different in temp output, although i know they make good quality products and I actually do see a difference in surface temp with it on the exhaust of my car. I feel that really so much of the heat is actually coming from the cylinder heads of the bike, and not so much the exhaust. All that aside, the bike looks better with black IMO (lemme know if the pics aren't visible for some reason)

The pics are great. Thanks for posting. I’ve had the 899 for 3 years and just decided to install some heat tape underneath the seat and subframe covers...and somehow the heat issue got so much worse. I don’t understand what I could have “messed up” just lifting the tank, but I ride for 15 min and it gets insufferably hot now, even when the dash claims engine temp of only 160-170 F. It never used to be that way...

How hot does your bike get and how quickly?

Since it’s mostly the rear cylinder head (and I agree), is there any gain to be had from:

ceramic-coating internal cylinder parts for better heat transfer?
Using coolant additive like VP Racing Cool Down (claims reduced cylinder head temp of up to 75 degrees)
Ceramic coating the subframe itself?
Fabbing a custom steel seat pan and ceramic coating/wrapping it in heat tape?

This is the product I’m looking at. I got a guy who will apply it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
i'm not sold on that stuff...although i know it's often compared to JetHot ceramic coatings. I know they use Cerakote on guns...and gun finishes are pretty weak IMO. When i sent my exhaust to JetHot, the guy was telling me that they had big order of car parts that they were redoing from a Cerakote coating...
But i'm biased...I like Jet hot. It's a super tough coating. I don't know anyone who's used that on their bike.
As for an actual way to get the heat down...It's probably impossible. The heat has to go somewhere...I think some kind of plate over the rear head leading out from under the bike would have worked...but that's impossible to put in afterwards.. Ducati had to design it that way. But if you haven't noticed, the venting on the v4 is further forward so that hot stuff isn't on the front of your legs at least...

So the issue is, coating the parts only allows them to not absorb the heat. the heat is still there from the engine, and it's now just going to go around those coated pieces, to the next thing. I'm sure there's a billion threads on here already about it...I coated my exhaust to keep some of the heat in...but mostly cuz it looks cool

#5 ·
i'm not sold on that stuff...although i know it's often compared to JetHot ceramic coatings. I know they use Cerakote on guns...and gun finishes are pretty weak IMO. When i sent my exhaust to JetHot, the guy was telling me that they had big order of car parts that they were redoing from a Cerakote coating...

But i'm biased...I like Jet hot. It's a super tough coating. I don't know anyone who's used that on their bike.
How much was it to ship your parts to Jet Hot if you don’t mind me asking? I’m thinking of getting the subframe done as well as the pipes.

As for an actual way to get the heat down...It's probably impossible. The heat has to go somewhere...

Yeah, you would still be dealing with cylinder head heat for sure. But the ceramic coating must reduce header pipe temps as advertised? It’s supposed to insulate the metal and push exhaust through faster, before it has a chance to seep heat into the pipework.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
uhhhhh kinda... i forget exactly how the 899 exhaust is. Cause mine is actually a 1299 exhaust. The 899 has more pieces to it. I think that section is the same though. If you really only wanted to do that piece and not mess with the rest of the exhaust, you would need to remove or have the subframe lifted up. As you can see from the pic, it sides down into the Y pipe...If you cant pull the Y pipe down, you gotta pull that section up...

#11 ·
oh, i don't remember the cost to ship it there... maybe $20 ... you can use whatever you want to ship it to them. They add in the price to ship it back to you. And honest, that **** was kinda high. I think they charged me like $30-40 to ship it back... But they do an awesome job wrapping and packing everything to protect it.
They also gave me a hard time about coating something. It wasn't the materials they were made off, cuz the aluminum can take the heat. THey were concerned about the parts that had bearings in them. THey refused to coat 2 pieces because they had bearings/seals on them. So i had to paint them myself.

Some part before ....

What i sent them... Both subframes, suspension links, both rearsets, triple tree, and kickstand

These are the two parts they refused to coat because they were afraid of damaging the bearings in them...

So I painted them myself using 2K's Catalyzed (2part) paint. It's very strong stuff

And here's how it came out...

Then i went on to remove and coat the other engine case...

so, as you can see,...it was fine being coated. No damage, so let them know the aluminum is good

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.