Lithium batteries - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 11-05-2015, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Lithium batteries

I have seen alot of people here refer to Shorai Lithium batteries. I am well aware of the advantages of Lithium batteries but do wonder why noone seems to use the Magneti Marelli ones?
The price of the Shorai ones seems a bit excessive and when you consider you can have a Magneti Marelli one that is every bit as good and weighs even a little less, all for around $76usd delivered i don't know why more people aren't going that way.
Actually i probably should of done a search for them on the forum before posting this but all i have seen to date has been references to the Shorai brand.
Is there something i don't know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 11-05-2015, 10:38 AM

Garage
Could be due to availability and brand awareness as when I searched for lithium batteries previously, Shorai come up in repeatedly in the results whereas any competition was rarely mentioned. Just about every shop I checked for Li batteries also only carried Shorai in my area.
Ge-spot likes this.

2015 Ducati 899 (Red)
Sato Racing rearsets, Sato Racing engine sliders, Sato Racing brake lever guard, SpeedyMoto fork and swing arm sliders, CRG CF levers, Shorai lithium battery, Evotech lower radiator guard v2, Ohlins TTX GP, Ohlins NIX 30 Fork Cartridge, LED headlight, BST wheels with ceramic bearings, Superlite front & rear sprocket, SBS Front RS Brake Pads, NRC fender eliminator & integrated turn signals.

2016 S1000RR (Black)
post #3 of 33 Old 11-05-2015, 12:34 PM

Just asking, but unless you're racing can you tell a difference in weight savings? I can see changing the rims out, but all I've done is remove the rear foot pegs, mirrors, and swapping out for a lighter battery, what's the point?

I dont know if that's 6 or 10 lbs weight saving, but I can't certainly tell a difference in handling with that minor weight?

Saving weight seems like an all out goal or dont even bother?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 11-05-2015, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDucati View Post
Just asking, but unless you're racing can you tell a difference in weight savings? I can see changing the rims out, but all I've done is remove the rear foot pegs, mirrors, and swapping out for a lighter battery, what's the point?

I dont know if that's 6 or 10 lbs weight saving, but I can't certainly tell a difference in handling with that minor weight?

Lithium batteries are definitely a superior product to lead acid. Although the weight saving is certainly a plus, in my mind when i can get a Lithium for less than the price of a conventional Yuasa it's no contest.
So yeah, i was just wondering what the big fascination with the Shorai brand was. Looks like MustangWolf may have answered that for me
post #5 of 33 Old 11-05-2015, 10:30 PM

Garage
Quote:

Reducing weight results in better handling—whether is in racing or riding in the canyons. Its less mass to push around as you move the bike side to side and less mass for the brakes to slow down. It won't help in the realm of style points at the Starbucks tho—unless you slap the Shorai sticker on the fairings.

2015 Ducati 899 (Red)
Sato Racing rearsets, Sato Racing engine sliders, Sato Racing brake lever guard, SpeedyMoto fork and swing arm sliders, CRG CF levers, Shorai lithium battery, Evotech lower radiator guard v2, Ohlins TTX GP, Ohlins NIX 30 Fork Cartridge, LED headlight, BST wheels with ceramic bearings, Superlite front & rear sprocket, SBS Front RS Brake Pads, NRC fender eliminator & integrated turn signals.

2016 S1000RR (Black)
post #6 of 33 Old 11-06-2015, 07:26 AM

Garage
Availability, dealer support, reputation.

I put one of these in my bikes soon after buying it. Noticed the weight savings immediately. Particularly when still and standing without my hands on the bars and gently rocking the bike between my legs. Since the battery is mid height, the lower center of gravity makes the savings slightly more pronounced when 4lbs vs the exhaust which is at the bottom of the bike and costs considerably more (save those with cored stock exhaust).

2014 Panigale 899 - Red
Termi Exhaust, Rotobox Wheels, NRC Fender Eliminator, Rizoma Rearsets and Reservoirs, Yoyodyne Slipper Clutch, Ducabike Clear Clutch Cover, CRG CF Levers, DP Fuel Cap, 'R' Seat Cover and Decal Kit
R&G Radiator Guard, Fork and Tank Sliders

2015 BMW S1000RR - Red
HP4 Wheels, Full Akrapovic titanium Exhaust, Bonamici Rearsets, Competition Werks Fender Eliminator and Integrated Tail Light,
Rizoma LED Indicators, Fuel Cap, and RRC Levers, R&G Sliders and Rear Spools
post #7 of 33 Old 11-06-2015, 07:28 AM

i dont wanna be negative nancy, but have you all considered the firehazard?

i didnt care much before i watched one burn...now, no way im putting that in my baby.
post #8 of 33 Old 11-06-2015, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjin View Post
Availability, dealer support, reputation.
Hmm, i guess availability in the U.S. is probably the major contributing factor seeing as the forum member numbers are pretty heavily biased that way and Shorai is a U.S. company.
Not sure about reputation (Shorai have only been around for 5 years vs Magneti Marelli who have almost 100 years of history) although i have little doubt they make a good product.
But anyways, i think i have my answer.
I have to say though for my money (and alot less of it) i would go the Magneti Marelli route).
Thanks for the feedback guys.
post #9 of 33 Old 11-06-2015, 11:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by My899fox View Post
i dont wanna be negative nancy, but have you all considered the firehazard?

i didnt care much before i watched one burn...now, no way im putting that in my baby.
Please elaborate. I can provide sources, however it would require cross posting from another forum on this very topic, that suggest and support that the Lithium battery is far safer from both a burn and leak standpoint vs a traditional lead acid.

@MarkDucati - Didn't your OEM Yuasa start leaking???

2014 Panigale 899 - Red
Termi Exhaust, Rotobox Wheels, NRC Fender Eliminator, Rizoma Rearsets and Reservoirs, Yoyodyne Slipper Clutch, Ducabike Clear Clutch Cover, CRG CF Levers, DP Fuel Cap, 'R' Seat Cover and Decal Kit
R&G Radiator Guard, Fork and Tank Sliders

2015 BMW S1000RR - Red
HP4 Wheels, Full Akrapovic titanium Exhaust, Bonamici Rearsets, Competition Werks Fender Eliminator and Integrated Tail Light,
Rizoma LED Indicators, Fuel Cap, and RRC Levers, R&G Sliders and Rear Spools
post #10 of 33 Old 11-06-2015, 02:16 PM

Garage
Quote:

If you're looking for bang for the buck the battery is the first place to start.

2014 Arctic White Silk 899 Panigale
2015 Ducati Multistrada S
2014 Honda Grom

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page