Homologated exhaust? - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 11-24-2014, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Homologated exhaust?

I live in an area where the police are total bastards about exhausts. I can only run slip-ons if they come with a certificate of homologation, which I can then produce at the roadside. If not, I get a ticket and depending on their discretion, they can cancel my Revisione (certificate of roadworthiness) and make me go for an inspection. This has happened to me once before and its something I never want to have to go through again!

Therefore, does anyone think or has anyone heard that a manufacturer is ever going to produce a homolgated, road legal exhaust for the 899??? I want to change the exhaust so bad but without that certificate I can't. I've emailed Mivv, Leo Vinci, Arrow, Zard and Yoshimura but only Arrow wrote back saying 'no' so far....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-24-2014, 04:05 PM

you're in Italy? and you can't get an aftermarket exhaust legally?

2014 Panigale 899 - Red
Front and Rear R&G Sliders , Rizoma B-Pro pegs, Ducati performance carbon tank protector, Pit Bull Spools, NRC FEK, R&G Radiator Guards, Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen, Red Wheels, ProGrip 717, Heated Grips

2001 Audi TT Quattro Roadster -
post #3 of 22 Old 11-24-2014, 07:20 PM

Yea, i'm shock. I mean most of the cars i want are from your country and their engines are sweat sounding loudness.

Most after market exhaust states that they are made for close circuit use. Depending on country laws they would have to subject their creation to local laws for extra inspection and testing to get certificate for legal road use. Thats a whole lot of money that they can bypass by saying "for close circuit use only".

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 11-24-2014, 08:10 PM

I don't like your chances mate. Sorry.

Every aftermarket exhaust I have ever fitted has said the same thing. Arrow, Akro, Termi to name a few.
Although Akro do the catalytic converter insert to keep emissions legal so I thought they would have something.

You could modify you stock cans but that's probably just asking for a work order aswell.

Last edited by Sqweegel; 11-24-2014 at 08:17 PM.
post #5 of 22 Old 11-24-2014, 10:37 PM

How about moving to Livorno...

you're out of luck like others have said
post #6 of 22 Old 11-25-2014, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hmmmm.... There is usually always an 'omologato' option with exhausts here in Italy. They come with the certificate that states they're road legal and gets the police off your back.
I thinking this morning that with all previous Ducati superbikes, the exhausts have always been much of muchness across models so I guess it has paid the manufacturers to get it through testing. But Panigale cans are so new, different and the actual bike numbers out there are so few that its just not worth it at the moment. It usually takes a while but I'm hoping they will get there in the end - there are now full systems available for the 848 for example that are fully homologated for road use! This would be a massive deal to me if I owned an 848 EVO (which is what I was going to buy before the dealer said 'don't make a decision until you try the Panigale!!!!!!)

SCARICO COMPLETO LEOVINCE FACTORY EVO 2 TITANIO DUCATI 848 OMOLOGATO 08-12 | WRS
post #7 of 22 Old 11-25-2014, 09:15 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmalfiCoast 899 View Post
I live in an area where the police are total bastards about exhausts. I can only run slip-ons if they come with a certificate of homologation, which I can then produce at the roadside. If not, I get a ticket and depending on their discretion, they can cancel my Revisione (certificate of roadworthiness) and make me go for an inspection. This has happened to me once before and its something I never want to have to go through again!
We have the exact problem here in Singapore. Homologated with a certificate or it's a sizeable fine and off to a troublesome back-to-stock conversion and inspection. The cops came down so hard on Ducatis with termis a year or so ago that almost everyone who was daily riding their bikes reverted to stock and there was a flood of cheap termis in the classifieds.

I was browsing the 1299 forum today and saw jarelj's comment about the new Akra for the Panigale R: "Several have asked, so here it is: CONFIRMED - In the U.S. the 2015 Panigale R will come with full Ti Akra homologated exhaust ONLY" I can only hope this becomes an option we can buy aftermarket for the 899.

PS: I watched Top Gear's Perfect Road Trip 2 last night and couldn't believe how beautiful the Amalfi Coast is.
post #8 of 22 Old 11-26-2014, 05:04 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks, its good news that a homologated exhaust is in the pipeline even if only for the R... I think it will take a year or so for anything decent to trickledown for our 899s.

But its no hardship for now because the bike sounds awesome as stock! And the money can be spent (more wisely perhaps) on lightweight wheels in the meantime
smcf likes this.
post #9 of 22 Old 11-26-2014, 07:43 AM

Garage
I was just telling vyruz

the more i think about it i just cant justify a exhaust...they are kinda a waste of money IMO for the 899.
just hear me out lol on every other bike i would say sure why not because the exhaust is not as integrated so they are cheap. on my two past bikes (cbr 600 f4i ,600RR) i think i paid like 500 or 600 for slip ons so i am ok with the minimal gains

but on the 899 your cheapest option is termi slips for $2000 and for what?
( i have rode a bike with them) and gotta say its not that different

sound: a little better for sure but not that much not like jap bikes those are really quiet stock
HP: a whopping 5hp if youre lucky
weight : the best part but still not worth 2k.....i would rather go on a diet for free and drop a few LBS lol
Throttle: supposed to smooth it out but i couldn't tell the difference
looks: they look cool i guess with the TI and carbon bits but i feel the stock looks better
clean and simple and the lines/shape flow better with the rest of the bike
Thegecko likes this.
post #10 of 22 Old 11-26-2014, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Don't get me wrong, I want to change my exhaust asap for reasons of more power, less weight, better looks and sound. I would have had it done before I had even collected the bike, its just that there isn't a homologated one available yet and as I say, the police here love a non approved can!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page