Ducati 899 Panigale Forum banner

R&G Radiator Guards

16K views 47 replies 11 participants last post by  sinjin 
#1 · (Edited)
Has anyone installed these on their 899?

I ordered a set from Ducati Omaha a couple of weeks ago and they finally came in. The website description says that they are pressed aluminum and when I opened the shipping box, I pulled out a set that says stainless steel on the package. I went to the R&G website and the Ducati 1199/899 model is described as aluminum. There is a stainless steel option further down the page, but it only says that it fits a Yamaha.

Has anyone received the stainless and installed them anyway?

Thanks in advance!

#3 ·
I had heard that there were fitiment issues in the past, but was told that they had pretty much been resolved. I am now wondering if it wasn't a chronic problem with shipping the wrong parts all along.

I will have to check the specific part number this evening. I saw the package on my way out the door, but it wasn't until I was at the gym that the word stainless on the package struck me as odd. I went back to the website to settle my curiosity and sure enough it has aluminum in the description.

If I have to send these back and wait another 2 weeks it will be very frustrating. I already have a small ding in my radiator due to all the construction on the freeways around my house, so I have been avoiding any highway riding until I got these installed.

I ordered the Zero Gravity windshield at the same time and was told that it should arrive before the guards. A week and a half later, I got an email saying that they were back ordered 3 - 4 weeks.

Thanks for the response!

#5 ·
the R&G looks way more professional than the EvoTech one's I think it is....but yeah, the word is they basically require almost full removal of the radiators to put on. They say to drain them n all....

that almost made me want the Evotech ones. But the R&G are sweet. be sure to do a write up on the installation

#13 ·
Reactions: warlord
#22 ·
Hey guys,

I have the r & g radiator guards on my bike
And it was a slide in and bolt them up application
Took me no longer than 10minutes to install top and bottom
Didn't have to take anything of the bike to fit

The picture and part number on there website is correct
So if you have what is pictured and the same part number
Than you have the right guards

#23 ·
Thanks for the response!

So I guess all the packages are stamped with STAINLESS STEEL and you just have to pay attention to the sticker...?

Jarel said that they weren't terribly complicated to install. I am pleased to hear that you didn't have much trouble either.

#25 ·
Mystery Solved: R&G said they ran out of the normal packaging for the Panigale radiator guard kits, so they used packaging for another kit to get the last batch shipped out to us rather than waiting for the normal packaging to come back in. This substitute packaging says "Stainless" on it, but the guards are still the normal aluminum guards, which are the only ones they make for the Panigale.

#26 ·
Mystery Solved: R&G said they ran out of the normal packaging for the Panigale radiator guard kits, so they used packaging for another kit to get the last batch shipped out to us rather than waiting for the normal packaging to come back in. This substitute packaging says "Stainless" on it, but the guards are still the normal aluminum guards, which are the only ones they make for the Panigale.
I have already thanked Jarel, however it never hurts to do it again!

I appreciate the speedy response... based on the feedback from the forum and doing a little further research, I am pleased with the decision to go with these and look forward to getting them on my bike!

Thanks again.

#28 ·
I haven't fitted them yet, but be careful if you choose to try installing them yourself. Search the forum about the Evotech posts specifically because a few members posted accounts of oil leaks from not keeping the anchor bolts from becoming loose when they removed the screws.

#29 ·
do you have to mess with those same screw that were causing the oil leaks with the R&G ones?

#30 ·
I think all the radiator guards require the removal of the same retaining screws. What makes the R&G kit so attractive is that it comes with both the lower and upper guards in one tidy package. Except with the Cox guards, it seems that the only safe way to install them all is by removing the fairings and securing the anchor bolt to keep it from turning as you remove and replace each screw.

#31 ·
Do any of the rest of you guys who have installed the R&G radiator guards have pictures of them on your bike? Sinjin's guards don't seem to be fitting correctly, so I'm curious to see if anyone else has issues with them or if this is isolated to his bike? I know quite a few of you on the forum have bought and installed those guards, and this is the first issue we've heard of with them, so I'd like to see visual confirmation of how they mounted up on your bikes! The design on the guards was changed earlier this year to mount on the outside of the plastic radiator shroud to make the installation easier. The ones I had on my 1199 in the past were the under-shroud style so I don't have any to look at here mounted up that are the new style.

#34 ·
To avoid the oil leak issue with my evotech guards I have used a cable tie in each top corner of the mesh going back inside the fairing behind the plastic cooler trim. It pulls the guard back tight against the screw heads and doesn't really show. It sounds a bodega but I was bothered by the reports of oil leaks.

When you remove the fairing lowers you can see that what is causing the leaks is probably that the ducati thread lock is so tough it's actually loosening the lug that goes into the rocker cover as you undo the screw for the guard.

#37 · (Edited)
Gonna have a crack at this today and was just wondering if anyone has checked if the Cam cover bolts are an allen key type? And if so what size?

This just makes sense to me, I can see Ducati screwing a bolt into a bolt and not having some sort of slot so you can tighten the rocker cover before you fit the trim panel. Or have I got this wrong?

Some points would be handy? Otherwise will post if I figure it out.. lol

#40 · (Edited)
Well I started to fit these up then a mate gave me a DP lower guard so I gave up. lol..

Have the R&G for sale if anyone in OZ is interested. Just didn't want to split the kit.

Why don't R&G make the guard to fit better rather than just change the pics?

I have ordered their carbon exhaust guard so am keen to see how that looks/fits....

#41 ·
Well I started to fit these up then a mate gave me a DP lower guard so I gave up. lol..

Have the R&G for sale if anyone in OZ is interested. Just didn't want to split the kit.

Why don't R&G make the guard to fit better rather than just change the pics?

I have ordered their carbon exhaust guard so am keen to see how that looks/fits....
Evidently, they were originally designed to fit underneath the shroud which had a really clean look to it. There were complaints about the complexity of the install, so they attempted to make it more 'plug and play' like the Evotech, however they didn't appear to get the dimensions right. I was hoping for a better design myself.

I am interested in hearing more about the exhaust guard... I put the tank sliders and the shock guard on mine and they improved the look along with the increased protection.

#43 ·
Sorry Sinjin I meant the shock guard NOT exhaust.

Do you have any pics of it on your bike?
I was all excited there for a moment! I would like to add the DP exhaust guards, but they are a little pricey!

I don't have one that is a close up, however here is one from a recent ride... mine is in the foreground with the Corse decal.

Attachments

#44 ·
I feel like Evotech is the obvious answer here since RnG has an obvious issue with this particular part for our bikes. After seeing all of this unfold I was lucky enough to get the Evotech to dodge the issues you guys have had and the fitment is perfect. I also think I lucked out with the install because that bolt in question behind the guard didn't move at all.

RnG's other products are top notch so I hope they get this issue resolved. A recall would seem appropriate but what do I know.

#45 ·
Recalls are expensive so I can't see it happening. Now they have sinjins pics on the website people can see what their getting up front so it gives them a way out.

And cheers for the pic sinjin, inspirational stuff. Was the R&G shock guard a gloss finish? I'll definitely get a Ducati Corse sticker.

Where did you get the 1199R stickers?

#46 ·
Thanks! The guard isn't too glossy and it matches the DP tank protector and their own tank protectors, of course.

I bought the bike with the decals already on it and the seat cover is the factory part for the 1199R so the decals are actually underneath a clear coat. The bike was a 1199R replica project that the GM at the dealer built. It already had the Termi's installed as well.

I know that Vulturbike makes a wide range of decal kits.

#48 ·
Thanks again...

Yeah, I was looking at the 1199R, but was discouraged by all the negative views on the 1199 in general when it came to riding on the street. I would like to track the bike, but for the most part I will be riding it on the highway or back roads. I stumbled across this and they were actually ready to deal. I got it out the door without freight or prep charges and less than MSRP. They threw in a ton of labor and some parts at cost.

I just received the Ducabike clear cover and the slipper and mag case are on order. Once I replace the wheels and perhaps the reservoirs, I think I am set.

Here is something to get you started on the decal search:
carbonworld.de -

I wanted the R look, but there are a ton of other options to choose from.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.