Dead battery in 2 weeks...hmm - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 05-15-2017, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Dead battery in 2 weeks...hmm

So, i have another problem to solve guys. Since i bought my bike a few months ago, I've kept it on the tender. Just because. However, two weeks ago i switched the tender to another bike. I also did some work on the bike, minor stuff like flushing brake and clutch lines, putting in fittings for getting rid of throttle slop, and installing a rear racing connector kit, part# 96580021A from ducati omaha. The other day I went to start the bike and...nothing. My mind instantly goes to rear racing connector kit, the part i installed to replace the rear tail lights which clears the CEL. Maybe it draws the power or causes a short...not sure, but after charging 24 hours, the bike just clicks and the security leds flicker when i turn it to the on position. I'm going to try and take off the rear connector piece and see it that allows it to charge any better and report back. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-15-2017, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Additional note, i now hear a louder, more constant clicking from the voltage regulator. We'll seeif this means anything or if im just hearing things
post #3 of 14 Old 05-15-2017, 11:03 PM

Check the voltage when running?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-16-2017, 09:19 AM

I wouldn't think it makes a difference, but are you using Ducati's OEM charger that plugs in under the seat? Or another charger wired directly to the battery?

2015 - 899 White: Custom Moto GP Exhaust with CF heat shields, Competition Werkes Fender Eliminator & Tail Lights, NRC Mirror Block Off Turn Signals, Rizoma Foot Pegs, Rizoma Oil Cap, CRG Arrow Bar End Mirros, T-REX Engine and Axel Sliders, 4Moto.de Decal Kit, Power Commander V & Dyno Tune, Charcoal Canister Delete
post #5 of 14 Old 05-16-2017, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Another charger directly to the battery.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-16-2017, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

So I took a voltmeter to the clip that attaches to the rear lights on the ohm setting and it looks like it actually draws power in the off setting. Therefore i think the rear seat connector, part 96580021A from ducati omaha is causing a short?
post #7 of 14 Old 05-17-2017, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Nevermind, wrong setting of ohms
post #8 of 14 Old 05-17-2017, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

So the dealer i bought from told me to get a new battery. I'm not going to fight them...yet. However, now i want to upgrade to a lighter lithium battery. Anyone use antigravity, wps, or shorai? The shorais look like they need to be charged out of the box and im trying to avoid buying a new charger as well so that's out. My goal is to have a trusty battery, no charging, and shed some pounds. Suggestions?
post #9 of 14 Old 05-17-2017, 11:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackattack View Post
So the dealer i bought from told me to get a new battery. I'm not going to fight them...yet. However, now i want to upgrade to a lighter lithium battery. Anyone use antigravity, wps, or shorai? The shorais look like they need to be charged out of the box and im trying to avoid buying a new charger as well so that's out. My goal is to have a trusty battery, no charging, and shed some pounds. Suggestions?
I have installed a Shorai in both my 899 and the BMW RR. While a proprietary charger is available and recommended, I have never attached them to anything more than a regular tender for a few hours and then ridden them. After the initial charge, I have yet to do anything to them for 3 and 2 years respectively. I keep the charger on hand as a precaution.

2014 Panigale 899 - Red
Termi Exhaust, Rotobox Wheels, NRC Fender Eliminator, Rizoma Rearsets and Reservoirs, Yoyodyne Slipper Clutch, Ducabike Clear Clutch Cover, CRG CF Levers, DP Fuel Cap, 'R' Seat Cover and Decal Kit
R&G Radiator Guard, Fork and Tank Sliders

2015 BMW S1000RR - Red
HP4 Wheels, Yoshimura R-55 LE Exhaust, Bonamici Rearsets, Competition Werks Fender Eliminator and Integrated Tail Light,
Rizoma LED Indicators, Fuel Cap, and RRC Levers, R&G Sliders and Rear Spools
post #10 of 14 Old 05-17-2017, 11:33 AM

I had the same exact problem was the OP...after 2 new batteries they found it was the ignition and the immobilizer/alarm. It was using more voltage than it was supposed to and draining that battery. They replaced that and I've been good since.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page