899 Oil Leak Issue - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 100 Old 02-06-2014, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Oni

Garage
899 Oil Leak Issue

Fellow 899ers,

I figured as a few members have had this Oil Leak problem it would be best to consolidate it all in 1 thread. As at the moment its split up amongst a number of different threads and topics.

So far my 899 isn't having an issue. But last i spoke on the forum, i said my mate had an oil leak going down his engine casing after his first service was done. His bike has been in the shop (Fraser's Concord) for a week now and just got notification from them that Ducati are shipping over a new engine for him. They have still yet to say what the actual problem is.

So if any other members have heard different or have images of where to check for this leak to help out other members that would be fantastic.

Cheers,
Oni.
Quo Vadas, devill66 and darthmoto like this.

It's not about how fast you ride, but how you ride fast.

Current Bikes
Yamaha R1 '10, Ducati 899 Panigale '14
Previous Bikes
Yamaha Zeal 250 '99, Kawasaki ZXR 750 '91, Yamaha R6 '99, Yamaha R6 '03 & '04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 100 Old 02-07-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni View Post
Fellow 899ers,

I figured as a few members have had this Oil Leak problem it would be best to consolidate it all in 1 thread. As at the moment its split up amongst a number of different threads and topics.

So far my 899 isn't having an issue. But last i spoke on the forum, i said my mate had an oil leak going down his engine casing after his first service was done. His bike has been in the shop (Fraser's Concord) for a week now and just got notification from them that Ducati are shipping over a new engine for him. They have still yet to say what the actual problem is.

So if any other members have heard different or have images of where to check for this leak to help out other members that would be fantastic.

Cheers,
Oni.
Is his one an earlyer batch?
post #3 of 100 Old 02-07-2014, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Oni

Garage
His is the same as mine, the First batch.

Current Bikes
Previous Bikes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 100 Old 02-07-2014, 07:15 PM

I'm sorry I didn't have the time to take pictures of the oil leaks on my 899, as today is the day I am dropping her off to my dealership to have a new engine installed. I will update anything else on this issue as far as how long it'll take or how long the dealership say it would take.
post #5 of 100 Old 02-07-2014, 07:36 PM

Is there a way to determine what batch your bike is from? Mine is just a week old but I have no idea how long the dealer had it.
post #6 of 100 Old 02-07-2014, 09:21 PM

Here are the photos I took when I did my investigation: http://goo.gl/mWsvma

There's a leak from the oil pan and possibly somewhere higher up on the motor. The service guy mentioned that the 1199's had oil leaks from the weephole. This might be similar.

The oil pan leak was initially diagnosed and fixed back in December by the dealer by torquing the oil pan bolts. It reappeared after the first service.

I was informed today that the dealer is awaiting authorization from DNA for the work. In the meantime, they have been asked by DNA to take no action.
T-wizzle and Oni like this.
post #7 of 100 Old 02-07-2014, 09:46 PM

Looks like I'll be in good hands with my dealership, dropped off the bike and spoke with the service rep. He said my new engine is in the crate and ready to install. As far as doing the first service again, it's 100% covered so I wouldn't be paying another 300 dollars to do it again!
rosscraw and dissonanz like this.
post #8 of 100 Old 02-08-2014, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Oni

Garage
Thanks for those photos dissonanz. I'd recommend everyone keep an eye on those areas in the photos. More so after your first service as that appears to be when it's happening.

Current Bikes
Previous Bikes
post #9 of 100 Old 02-08-2014, 05:11 PM

are most of these leaks happening from the pan?
post #10 of 100 Old 02-09-2014, 08:37 PM

I would be pissed.There is no reason too have problems on a new bike now adays.Especially when you put out $15 k.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page