899 Single swing arm comversion - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 Old 01-29-2017, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

899 Single swing arm comversion

Hi All,

After some deep thought, if I should buy an 1199 or stick with my 899, I decided to stick with I have which I am extremely happy with.
I loved the look of the 1199 single swing and decided why not. I am not an expert, however, enjoy learning new tasks and decided to complete the mod myself.

On order and on its way to me.

1199 Single swing arm... about 1500 KMS
1199 Brake Caliper
1199 Rear Brake line
1199 rotor
1199 Wheel speed sensor
1199 rear Sprocket
1199 Hub
1199 Chain
Rear fender
Axle nut
1199 Forged rear wheel

Shipped cost to me 1250.00

I was quoted $600.00 in labour which sounds reasonable I guess, however decided to tackle this myself.

I have been taking my time so far I have about 3 hours into it.

The project is on hold until all my parts arrive in a week or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3600.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	36561   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3601.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	36569   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3599.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	36577   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3603.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	36585   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3606.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	36593  

Last edited by alvarop; 01-29-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 01-29-2017, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

To support the bike, I fastened two fisheye hooks to the ceiling beams and used ratchet straps to fastened the back of the bike.
The front I used my bike stand and strapped the front down.
The bike is stable and secure, less expensive way I thought.
post #3 of 55 Old 01-29-2017, 02:39 PM

Garage
Sounds like quite a project you now have on your hands - I hope everything goes well!

$1,250 for all the parts seems like a bargain so far. I would definitely consider upgrading the front wheel as well, though. Perhaps someone else can comment, however I am not sure how drastic a change to both the geometry AND rotational mass on the rear will impact the handling of the bike.

Once you are finished, you will be able to consider that underseat exhaust as you next upgrade!

2014 Panigale 899 - Red
Termi Exhaust, Rotobox Wheels, NRC Fender Eliminator, Rizoma Rearsets and Reservoirs, Yoyodyne Slipper Clutch, Ducabike Clear Clutch Cover, CRG CF Levers, DP Fuel Cap, 'R' Seat Cover and Decal Kit
R&G Radiator Guard, Fork and Tank Sliders

2015 BMW S1000RR - Red
HP4 Wheels, Yoshimura R-55 LE Exhaust, Bonamici Rearsets, Competition Werks Fender Eliminator and Integrated Tail Light,
Rizoma LED Indicators, Fuel Cap, and RRC Levers, R&G Sliders and Rear Spools
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 Old 01-29-2017, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

I thought the price was worth it , shopped around ,

I am planning on changing the front wheel as well right now wanting to get it put together.

My exhaust, I did a core job and right now it's at the welding shop getting stainless grills welded. I just don't know if 2000K for a Termi will make a difference in performance VS cored to be honest.
I know the Termi will sound better. However, I think the cored sounds mean as well.

When I am all finished, I will make some high-quality videos. Usually I am the guy reading everyones threads and learning.

Lots of cold beers and great music, I havent screwed anything up yet. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinjin View Post
Sounds like quite a project you now have on your hands - I hope everything goes well!

$1,250 for all the parts seems like a bargain so far. I would definitely consider upgrading the front wheel as well, though. Perhaps someone else can comment, however I am not sure how drastic a change to both the geometry AND rotational mass on the rear will impact the handling of the bike.

Once you are finished, you will be able to consider that underseat exhaust as you next upgrade!
post #5 of 55 Old 01-29-2017, 10:29 PM

Yeah look for a front wheel!

Also the rear caliper is same as the 899.
post #6 of 55 Old 01-29-2017, 10:33 PM

Quote:

Light weight wheels are considered one of the best upgrades to a bike. While the longer wheel base and wider tire will have some effect on the handling. You do lose some of the "easy to lean over" character of the 899, but you get use to it.

Freight cost is a killer for me for a SSSA conversion.......
post #7 of 55 Old 01-30-2017, 09:16 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-StyleNZL View Post
Light weight wheels are considered one of the best upgrades to a bike. While the longer wheel base and wider tire will have some effect on the handling. You do lose some of the "easy to lean over" character of the 899, but you get use to it.

Freight cost is a killer for me for a SSSA conversion.......
Yes. I have had Rotobox wheels on my 899 for some time now and I bought my RR with the HP forged wheels for just this reason.

What I meant was installing the SSSA with a lighter wheel on the rear while retaining a cast wheel on the front. What I was questioning was how suddenly having a slightly extended wheel base and a light wheel on the rear, but not doing anything for the front wheel may affect the bike. It seems to me that this combination might be dangerously offset.

2014 Panigale 899 - Red
Termi Exhaust, Rotobox Wheels, NRC Fender Eliminator, Rizoma Rearsets and Reservoirs, Yoyodyne Slipper Clutch, Ducabike Clear Clutch Cover, CRG CF Levers, DP Fuel Cap, 'R' Seat Cover and Decal Kit
R&G Radiator Guard, Fork and Tank Sliders

2015 BMW S1000RR - Red
HP4 Wheels, Yoshimura R-55 LE Exhaust, Bonamici Rearsets, Competition Werks Fender Eliminator and Integrated Tail Light,
Rizoma LED Indicators, Fuel Cap, and RRC Levers, R&G Sliders and Rear Spools
post #8 of 55 Old 01-30-2017, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

So it turns out the Rim
I thought I was buying a 1199R Machesini is not .
It's a regular 1199 rim , they reduced the price , will that rim work with my 899 ?

Or should I still replace the front to a 1199 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 55 Old 01-30-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Yes. I have had Rotobox wheels on my 899 for some time now and I bought my RR with the HP forged wheels for just this reason.

What I meant was installing the SSSA with a lighter wheel on the rear while retaining a cast wheel on the front. What I was questioning was how suddenly having a slightly extended wheel base and a light wheel on the rear, but not doing anything for the front wheel may affect the bike. It seems to me that this combination might be dangerously offset.
Well, I know some body who brought a 1199s wheel set and is just using the front wheel.....lol

from off the top of head, it wont be dangerous, but you would have to adjust the rear shock for the new combo.
post #10 of 55 Old 01-30-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvarop View Post
So it turns out the Rim
I thought I was buying a 1199R Machesini is not .
It's a regular 1199 rim , they reduced the price , will that rim work with my 899 ?

Or should I still replace the front to a 1199 ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the rear will work on a SSSA conversion. Cant remember if the front wheels between the 899 and base 1199 are the same style. Does front wheel come with brake rotors? if is does, then thats a bonus upgrade, but you will need to swap the caliper bolts out with the 1199 ones and add the spacers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page