4,800 miles in 8 days - OH>CO>OH - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 09-06-2016, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

4,800 miles in 8 days - OH>CO>OH

I got the idea last year after doing 1,300 miles in 3.5 days that I wanted to go out west......... so I planned a ride and everyone except one person backed out last minute (of course). The plan was to take a week of vacation, ride to colorado and back friday-sunday and use labor day (monday) as a back up/just in case day.

I took over 2,000 pics and we saw SO MUCH STUFF.

The main purpose of the trip was to go to Pikes Peak, so that was the first thing we did. While at the top, my friend dropped his Triumph in the 4" of slush right next to a Harley. The guy on the Harley had done the same thing, and we all formulated a plan to get out of the slush and off the mountain. It took all 3 of us to get each bike turned around and out the road. The Harley guy then scrapped his plans of going to Moab and rode around with us, which was fine because splitting a hotel room 3 ways is cheaper than 2!

The trip basically went like so:

-3.5 hrs Canton, Ohio to Cincinnati to sweep my Triumph friend, across I-70 to Colorado
-Pikes Peak to Florence, CO
-Florence to Durango, CO and ran Million Dollar Highway up to Grand Junction
-Visit to Flyin Miata in Palisade
-Glenwood Springs for Hot Springs
-Up through Steamboat Springs to Estes Park and through Rocky Mountain National Park
-Loveland up to Wellington on backroads with 2 other local Harleys leading us
-Into WY, over to SD into Black Hills and ran Needles Highway, saw Mt. Rushmore
-Through Wind Cave National Park/Custer State Park
-Over 90, down into Badlands and back to 90
-Split at Sioux Falls, I took the Northern route through MN/WI/MI UP/Lower MI back to Ohio

Here are some pics!!

There are more pics in here:
Out West Trip 8-2016 by J P | Photobucket

Haven't had a chance to sort everything out and dump the pics to my google drive yet.

I ran Pirelli Rosso II's for the trip and after the front feeling kind of vague and slippery, it actually did wash out once in the middle of a 15mph switchback. I'm going to try and mount an old Corsa Rosso on the front and see how that combo is. Satisfied with the life of the Rosso II rear so far, considering how square it is currently due to so much highway on the way out (6000 miles on rear so far).

Luggage:
-SW Motech Saddlebags
-Kriega 30L tailbag w/Panigale specific mount
-Generic bungee net to hold spare jacket, shoes, etc.

~*Jessika*~
2014 899 Panigale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-06-2016, 02:41 PM

MAD PROPS!!

Way to rack up miles on the 899 and not let it become a garage queen! Totally inspiring!

Good Sellers:
BrOsiah

Good Buyers:
Venom

2014 Ducati 899 Panigale
post #3 of 22 Old 09-06-2016, 03:24 PM

You need to do a writeup of your high mileage 899 and send it to Ducati! It's very rare to see a super bike with those miles and even more rare a model thats new.
XCLR8TN likes this.

FullTuckDUC
YouTube: www.youtube.com/c/FullTuckDUC
Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/fulltuckduc
2015 899 Panigale (Red) - Current
2012 1100EVO (BLK) - Sold
2016 Harley Sportster 48 - Current
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 09-06-2016, 03:25 PM

That is amazing. I'm guessing if you are able to take a trip like that, you have no issues with wrist or knee pain? After a few hours on mine I'm ready to stop for the day...or week.

2003 Turbo 350Z - Silverstone - Sold
2015 899 Panigale - Artic White
post #5 of 22 Old 09-06-2016, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_350Z View Post
That is amazing. I'm guessing if you are able to take a trip like that, you have no issues with wrist or knee pain? After a few hours on mine I'm ready to stop for the day...or week.
Normally I can do 600 miles of twisties before my wrists really start to hurt. And they start to hurt because I just get tired and forget to support myself with my abs/knees on the tank and start putting more weight on my wrists. On the highway or straights, I can barely manage 300 miles. As far as knees, I've had 3 knee surgeries and have knee pain.... what I do is every so often put my legs down to stretch them or stand up while riding. I also sometimes sit on the seat sideways almost, almost both cheeks off, heel on peg on other side, body turned sideways. Just relieves a little pressure on my butt lol. I used the comfort seat for this trip, but it's not my preferred seat since it leans you over a little more than stock (higher seat height).

What made a HUGE difference on this trip was that I bought an Omni Cruise throttle lock. Once you get used to it, it's pretty hard to go back. I got to know my bike extremely well on my way home through Michigan. There was a 60 mile stretch where I never touched the bars lol. Combination of helmet rudder, weight on the pegs, and grabbing the tank with your knees to lean.

Omni Cruise Throttle Lock

^^^highly recommend! You find what throttle opening you want and push the lock forward against the brake lever with your index finger.

When I chop the throttle, it turns off--mostly. I noticed mine will push the brake lever forward a bit, then when you pull the lever in coming to a stop, it will give it a bit of throttle, so I've been reaching over and pulling it up/back a little so throttle is 100% off. I also put a little dot on the grip and the bar so I can see how much throttle I'm using or if it's all the way off. Once you get used to it, it's awesome. You can give your right arm/shoulder a break.

Keep in mind it's not CRUISE, going up hills you will slow down and going down hills you will speed up--it's just keeping the same throttle input.

~*Jessika*~
2014 899 Panigale
post #6 of 22 Old 09-06-2016, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buklae620 View Post
MAD PROPS!!

Way to rack up miles on the 899 and not let it become a garage queen! Totally inspiring!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman1291 View Post
You need to do a writeup of your high mileage 899 and send it to Ducati! It's very rare to see a super bike with those miles and even more rare a model thats new.
Not sure where to send it to, but I'll look into it!

~*Jessika*~
2014 899 Panigale
post #7 of 22 Old 09-06-2016, 05:32 PM

Garage
You're an animal with those distances. I did 900km (~550m) of mostly highways last Sunday and I was totally knackered by the time I got home. For the last hour or so I was seeing double I was so tired. Took about 10 hr with a break for lunch and fueling stops. Don't know how you do it! Awesome trip and pics though!!! Cheers,
S.
post #8 of 22 Old 09-06-2016, 06:35 PM

Wow! hella jelly! thanks for sharing. great pics!
post #9 of 22 Old 09-06-2016, 08:47 PM

Wow. I dont think I could do that. I'd probably need at least double the time you tooknow. Very impressed.
post #10 of 22 Old 09-07-2016, 01:19 AM

Awesome pics and awesome ride. Cudos to you.
Yeh, you're making me feel old as i think those kind of miles in that time frame isn't my idea of fun anymore.
I did just get cruise control flashed into my ECU though so the boring bits are alot less annoying now and am planning on doing some longer trips. Have to admit i love it and keeps the speed within 1 or 2k's of wherever i set it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page