Got my CF heat shields done!!! - Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 05-18-2016, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Got my CF heat shields done!!!

Hypnodic01, Thegecko and Mariner like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-18-2016, 02:57 PM

That's looks awesome. Good job!!
post #3 of 19 Old 05-18-2016, 03:11 PM

is it just the picture that makes it look like its ON the tire?

ok , im digging it. sound clips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 05-18-2016, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

That was the very question I asked the shop... they said its the camera angle, that it is close, but there is clearance for the rear wheel to travel without touching the CF.

Sound clip, oh yeah, I'm going to take some as soon as I get the bike back. I have to pick it up from the CF guy Friday, then drop it off at the dealership to have a power commander, dyno and tune done... should have it all done by end of next week!

Just as a matter of fact if curious... they took a mold of the cracking aluminum plates that were cut off the stock cans, small rear section over the port was welded on, then they used that mold to make the CF plates and they did a nice job on making an outer radius along the edges and an inner radius on the exhaust port... cost was $1123 to make the plates. I think the shop knows what they're doing, that's all they do is custom CF work and the guy who made the plates does amature motoGP on the side.

Then when all is said and done, I'm having Rory's full decal kit put on:

Last edited by MarkDucati; 05-18-2016 at 03:58 PM.
post #5 of 19 Old 05-20-2016, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Just picked my bike up from SE Composites... they did a spectacular job on the CF plates! Very nice rolled edges, precision fit, very sturdy. It was raining, so I only snapped this one picture... took it to the dealership for them to tune this week.

These are the molds they made from the original custom aluminum plates... They gave me the molds should I need to have any more made if I break or chip a plate.

XCLR8TN likes this.
post #6 of 19 Old 05-20-2016, 11:50 PM

Very nice Mark! **** I would love to hear that bad boy!!!!! That open pipe is music to my ears

Dustin
Alpha~899
post #7 of 19 Old 05-21-2016, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Alpha,

Weird... dropped the bike off at the shop, they turned the key turning ignition on and fan cam on right away on a cold bike? Turned it off and the fan stayed on a few seconds?

They said they'd put it on the diagnostic machine... I found a power commander 5 on Amazon for $259.99, shop wanted to charge me $419!!! They said that's the cheapest they could get it from their supplier. So I bought the PCV and had it shipped to the shop.

BTW, there is absolutely plenty of clearance between the plates and the rear tire, at least an inch... the camera angle makes it look like its touching, but isn't.

As soon as I get the bike back and decals from Germany on, I'll post the completed project and some sound clips. Cost me $800 for the exhaust, $1050 for the plates to be made, $260 for the power commander, and probably $400 to tune... so I'll have about the same cost as a set of Termi's into it, but way cooler sound :-)
post #8 of 19 Old 05-21-2016, 04:05 PM
Site Vendor

I assume these are custom made? No one makes these for the 899 yet?
post #9 of 19 Old 05-23-2016, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

Yes, they are custom-made to fit over the cost him straight to hollow exhaust pipes that kind of snail turn around themselves. If anybody here wants to borrow my molds to have similar cost of carbon fiber plates made, I'll gladly share them.
post #10 of 19 Old 05-23-2016, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDucati View Post
Yes, they are custom-made to fit over the cost him straight to hollow exhaust pipes that kind of snail turn around themselves. If anybody here wants to borrow my molds to have similar cost of carbon fiber plates made, I'll gladly share them.

I already paid to have the molds made, making a new set of plates is the easy part, the hard part would be getting a shop to custom make the curved exhaust pipes to fit the shields. And you'd have to have a custom bracket made to mount them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati 899 Panigale Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page